The Venetian harbour

Posted on

A small harbour may have existed in the past at the base of Kastelli hill but the harbour of Chania as we know it was built by the Venetians over a period of 300 years, starting in 1320. It has two distinct basins: the West basin was mainly used for unloading goods that were stored in warehouses. The eastern basin was used to build and repair ships and was effectively the docklands. It was lined up by arsenals on one side and protected from storms by a long mole leading to the lighthouse.